Thursday, March 2, 2017

"Parenting"

In our almost 6 years of marriage Kyle and I have moved 5 times. 3 of those moves were to a different city. When we made this most recent move I didn't think too much about it in terms of parenting. He was only 2 1/2, I didn't think he would notice the move all that much and would enjoy living in a larger place. A yard, a playroom, a house instead of an apartment. I figured he'd be in heaven.

I was wrong.

The move was probably the hardest on him and there was a lot of adjusting that has needed to take place these last six months. In hindsight I have to admit that I think it was partially so hard on him because of me. I expected my 2 1/2 year old to be able to process and adjust, well, like me. (smacks forehead and shakes head) I was focused on unpacking and getting the house in order, so that Kyle could just focus on his new territory and role at work. I was trying to meet people at church, have families over so we could be plugged in and feel at home. Those things are all well and good, but I let parenting go on the back burner.

I brought Jonathan along on everything I did. But my normally sweet natured boy was having huge fits, disobeying like never before and slowly I was losing my patience.

In tears of frustration I called Kyle and asked him to pray for me one day. He did. He also ordered me Paul Tripps new book on parenting. "Parenting 14 Gospel Principles That Can Radically Change Your Family."

I needed it like I can't even begin to describe. A lot of it is stuff I have heard or been taught before, and yet the reminder was both timely and needed. Some of it is stuff I hadn't thought through, and NEEDED to think through.

Jonathan can still be naughty (he's a toddler after all... and a sinner) But I have noticed my focus, my purpose, my approach to parenting has come back to the gospel where it needed to be from day one. I remembered how consistent I need to be. I've had to rearrange life a bit so I can make sure consistency in parenting is my priority. I've seen a huge change these last 2 weeks and am so thankful that I have a husband who put truth in my hands when I needed it.

If you haven't read it yet, even if you are the best parent in the world, read Parenting by Paul Tripp. It's worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment