Community

I feel entiely too young to say this, but things are so different from when I was a kid. My dad used to say that. I used to hear my dad share stories of childhood. It sounded a bit like Leave it to Beaver. (Is that a completely out of date reference?) The neighborhood kids all knew eachother and they would play outside all summer until a parent would whistle loudly, then they would all run home for dinner.

I grew up similarly. My sisters, cousins, and I grew up in a neighborhood in Montana where we knew everyone, we organized neighborhood games of capture the flag and kick the can, and we were regularly in and out of eachothers homes. Our neighbor, Zeb, would knock on our back door in the summers just as we were about to sit down to dinner, invite himself in, eat with us and then head home to eat with his family. A young growing boys dream, two delicious dinners every night.

We were safe. We rode bikes around the neighborhood, were able to rely on our neighbors for a cup of sugar, babysitting, company, and help when needed. One of our neighbors houses caught on fire. We saw a neighbor sprinting through our yard towards the Adelsons and we knew something was wrong. We all ran. The Neighbors had the fire put out almostly completely before the fire trucks arrived, they saved the majority of the house. When my dad had massive heart surgery and needed help recovering it was our neighbors who got him walking again. It was my neighbor who became my best childhood friend, and who I am very close to to this day.

I could go on and on but I think you get the picture. What does community look like today? Lots of likes and comments on your instagram post? Do you know your neighbors? Would you trust your kids going in and out of your neighbors homes? Who would put your fire out?

Kyle and I have been blessed by great examples of hospitality, and true hospitality is another post for another day, but the people who opened their homes and created community have remained our biggest supporters, examples, and mentors in life. I include my parents amazing example in this.

We have moved 8 times. All 8 times Kyle and I noticed a theme. People were desperate for community, and if you were willing to be hospitible or create an opportunity for community people would come flooding in. Even when we lived in a 600 sq. ft. Guest house. God created us to be together. I am so thankful for the body of Christ and that we can fellowship with one another. Sadly, even the church seems desperate for genuine community.

So what do you do? You create it. You make your neighbors cookies and introduce yourself. You actually talk to people when you are in line at the grocery store. You say hi to the mom at the park. You host dinner parties. You invite kids over for play dates. Have people gradually in your home so you can find out who you trust and who your kids can play with. Build up the friendships you already have. Send a letter, Make a phone call. And I mean a phone call, not a text. Step out of your comfort zone in the smallest ways and be blown away by how much people crave community and will respond to you. Pray for opportunities. You can't be a light in this dark world if you don't talk to people.

Hopefully, prayerfully, this blog will be a means of encouragement, and give ideas to help you run your home well, be a blessing to your family, and encourage you to be hospitible and build community.

Comments

Popular Posts