Homeschooling (I kind of hate that word)

 We have started our second year of homeschooling and I must say I am loving it. Although, it isn't exactly what I had expected or thought it would be. I am learning to embrace it and that has been a bigger process than I thought it would be!

I don't know if it's because of how much the world has changed since 2020, if it's because schooling in general is such a sensitive topic, or because it's such a personal one, but I kind of hate telling people that I homeschool. Not because I'm ashamed of it, but because it feels like an instantly judgemental or clicky topic. 

It seems to me that no matter what school program has been chosen for your kids, it is "THE BEST AND ONLY WAY".  It feels like living in Mean Girls. The public school kids sit over here. The homeschool families over there please, and the private school students up here. Then, within those camps there is bickering.. are you a part of a co-op? What co-op? Are you an un-schooler, a classical schooler, a montisori family? What about Charlotte Mason? The options are endless and then once we choose our option we judge everyone else for the option they chose. Because obviously we are so smart and chose the best, which means that you chose worse than we did. 

Maybe it's not that bad, maybe I'm the only one who feels this way, and feels the pressure. But I kind of doubt it. 

Anyway, (I digress) I say all of that to say that we have chosen homeschooling, and within homeschooling we have chosen to do a Classical Conversations Co-op (which is kind of an emarrassing story, as I did NOT want to do this). 

It has been a great blessing in our life and I don't think it's for everyone. Heck! We take it a year at a time. The good news is, I am learning to not worry about what anyone thinks of our families schooling journey, not to worry about judgement, perceived or real, but to focus on giving my children the best possible education I can, and to love people while I do it. 

Here's to another year of being those Homeschool people. (I wish It was called something else)

Comments

Popular Posts