Kindergarten: My True Self Revealed

My oldest son started Kindergarten and it has been a huge adjustment for all of us. Before we decided on which school we were going to send him to my husband and I spent a good deal of time weighing the pros and cons of each schooling option. We landed on a school and we were all excited! Boone would talk about how he is so ready to go to school and learn because he wants to be a doctor when he is older and he better get learning! Kyle and I were excited for the structure it would provide, the education he would receive and honestly, we thought that school would round him out. We thought school would help him grow in his weaknesses and that it would help sharpen his strengths.

What we weren't prepared for, or rather, what I wasn't prepared for was how much school would round ME out! How it would expose my weaknesses and it would sharpen my strengths... but mostly expose my weaknesses.

I absolutely hate to admit it, but the way I am mostly being exposed right now is in my speech. From the heart the mouth speaks. My heart is tired! My heart is controlling! My heart wants things to go MY way in MY time! Essentially my heart is selfish. So my words have been sharp, ungracious, and selfish! Today on the way to school Boone wasn't himself, we had had a hard morning getting out the door and I had been frustrated. He was down, and I couldn't blame anyone but myself (I tried to and my husband wouldn't let me get away with it.)

So what do you do? You confess your sin and He is faithful and just to forgive us our sin. I asked Boone to forgive me for my impatience and for not having a nice tone to my voice when I spoke to him. He forgave me in the sweetest way, and in the most "Boone" way. After forgiving me he said "You tell me that we have to speak in a way that honors the Lord, and then you don't and you say its sin, then you act like its no big deal and move on." Ouch. (yes, my 5 year old really talks like that. yes, I appreciate prayers) So we talked some more about taking sin seriously and also about once we forgive we do move on because forgiveness isn't keeping a record of wrong.

OK, so what now? I see my sin I see where this new schedule is demanding on all of us and how I need to let go of my way and do things God's way. What does that look like? For me it is going to begin with an audit of my time. If I am running the home smoothly and orderly and prepared, I am not going to be so stressed! I am going to schedule my day to the half hour. I am going to fill in my activities by the half hour all day. I will show my schedule once completed. I have done this before and it takes tweaking, but it's amazing how much it shows! It shows what I can accomplish quickly, what takes more time than I realize, and it shows where I waste time. It also makes me THINK about my time more.

Hopefully your school years have begun more smoothly than ours has. But if you find you are pressed for time, I suggest you do a little time audit of yourself too. Let me know what it shows you.

Here's to starting completing the rest of the school year with way more grace than I began it!

Comments

Popular Posts