My only comfort

I’ve been teaching Jonathan The New City Catechism (a combination of the Westminster and Heidelberg Catechism with shorter answers for kids) and the first question is “what is your only comfort in life and in death? Answer: That I am not my own but belong to God in body and soul both in life and death to God and to my Savior Jesus Christ.

As I was watching the boys play outside yesterday I hear Boone singing the answer to himself. I was so thankful, but also immediately started praying that that truth would sink deep into his heart and never leave.

We are not our own. We are each made in the image of Christ, and we are made for a purpose! Another Catechism question: What is the chief end of man? To glorify God and enjoy Him forever.

As I wake up to another day of news of riots, some in my city, my heart is burdened. Our World is broken, and I’ve always known that, but now it seems inescapable. Murder of babies is deemed “essential” during this Coronavirus pandemic, but church is not. People are killing each other and see only color, instead of Gods beautiful design. Anger and hatred seem to rule the day, instead of people remembering that “the greatest of these is love”. I am incredibly burdened but I can’t let that turn into anxiety because this world might be falling apart....

But God.

Is still on His throne
Is still in control
See’s  all
Knows all
Comforts the broken-hearted
Will Return!

So what is my hope in life and in death? I’m His. I pray now more than ever for opportunity to share the good news that we are not our own, to as many people as I can.

To be honest, evangelism has always made me nervous. It’s embarrassing to admit that, because it’s incredibly selfish. Thank goodness the Lord is changing my heart... now my only thought is “what if we raised a generation that knew they were not their own, but that every action mattered? What if the next generation new that they were not their own but had a purpose? What if they knew they were bought at a price?

Q. What is your only comfort in life and death?                                                                   

A. That I am not my own,[1] but belong with body and soul, both in life and in death,[2] to my faithful Saviour Jesus Christ.[3] He has fully paid for all my sins with His precious blood, and has set me free from all the power of the devil.[5] He also preserves me in such a way[6] that without the will of my heavenly Father not a hair can fall from my head;[7] indeed, all things must work together for my salvation.[8] Therefore, by His Holy Spirit He also assures me of eternal life[9] and makes me heartily willing and ready from now on to live for Him.[10]
[1] I Cor. 6:19, 20 [2] Rom. 14:7-9. [3] I Cor. 3:23; Tit. 2:14. [4] I Pet. 1:18, 19; I John 1:7; 2:2. [5] John 8:34-36; Heb. 2:14, 15; I John 3:8. [6] John 6:39, 40; 10:27-30; II Thess. 3:3; I Pet. 1:5. [7] Matt. 10:29-31; Luke 21:16-18. [8] Rom. 8:28. [9] Rom. 8:15, 16; II Cor. 1:21, 22; 5:5; Eph. 1:13, 14. [10] Rom. 8:14.

Comments

Popular Posts