Trying to document history

I have wanted to journal or document in some way what this time in quarantine and all that's been going on with the Coronavirus has meant to our family.

It's hard because it's not straight forward or simple in any way. I am also one of those people who tends to process something after it's happened, and since we are still dealing with the coronavirus debacle and probably will be for quite some time, I don't know exactly when that processing will happen.

Being a stay at home mom of two young boys means that in some ways I already live like I'm in quarantine. I don't mean that in any kind of a negative way. I simply mean that I am home already, trying to take care of the boys and don't do a ton out and about. In fact the first month of the quarantine was really nice. We were able to rest and catch up on projects and chores and just disconnect from the outside world and focus on our little family. It was what I needed after the two years I had had.

It was also clear during this time and this was going to have massive implications. Would it be 2.2 million deaths in America alone? Would it mean not going back to school (yes) Would it mean a change in how we live our lives for the long term or just the short term? What was this virus?  Stores were out of everything and I was thankful I had stocked up when I was told to do so, even though it was before everyone else and I got very weird looks from people.

Then time went on and we all realized that yes, this was going to change life forever, but how? We still don't know. A lot of States have overstepped in terms of their Constitutional power, but also this sickness is real. Job loss has been at an all time high, two people in my family have lost jobs, and 2 people in my family have had to be tested for the virus and we know that we have been exposed at least twice. It's hard to navigate exactly how to proceed in such times.

I have to be honest though. While I am praying for the country and our future and for those who have been terribly affected by all that has gone on, I haven't really been hurt by it all. I have had sweet time with my family. God provided for Kyle to pick up a second job for a couple months because we were trying to prepare in case he lost his job along with so many others. But he hasn't lost his job so it was a chance to catch up on a few bills and really get ahead. No one in our family has been sick, and we have been able to come around those who have lost their jobs.

For us it has been a time to evaluate priorities and re-set. It's been a sweet reminder that we can and do trust God in all things, and that our deepest needs are spiritual and not physical. I realize I need and pray for wisdom to raise my boys in a world that is and will be entirely different than the one I was raised in or that my parents were raised in. We will have to navigate new challenges, but Kyle and I seem to love a challenge.

All in all the Lord has worked this together for good in our life and we are resting, catching up, relying on Him, praying more fervently, and being reminded to be thankful.

I know that this isn't how it's been for a lot of people and I don't want to seem callous to what they are going through. I simply want to document what this has meant for us. 

Comments

Popular Posts