Hygge mentality

 The last two places Kyle and I have lived have had gloomy winters. Oppressively gloomy. It's been a real battle for me and when I was sharing my struggle *cough* complaining *cough* to an godly women in our church about it a couple years ago, she shared with me the concept of Hygge. 

It's becoming a increasingly popular concept that started with the Danish. They live in one of the gloomiest places in the world and year after year are said to be the happiest people in the world. Why? Because they don't fight against the gloom, they lean into it. They create cozy environments and go through the day with thought and purpose to every activity. They also surround themselves with people they love. 

As this godly woman was talking to me I smiled and said "so they basically just choose contentment?" Her expression said "I'm glad you picked up on that" As Christians aren't we to be the most content?! 

Well this year I am fully embracing Hygge in our home. Although, I will have to adapt certain parts of it to work with our life. I'm going to call it American Hygge, or Thompson Hygge, or some other name once I settle on one. Anyway, first things first. Mentality. 

I realize that I needed to choose contentment, but during my reading this morning I realized I needed to go a step further. I needed to put off before I could put on. I am going to put off complaining, and put on contentment. Here is an excerpt from "Keep a Quiet Heart" by Elisabeth Elliot

"[My friend] Nina Jean said that she made up her mind that if complaining was the reason God's people were denied the priviledge of  entering Canaan, she was going` to quit it. She set herself a tough task: absolutely no complaining for fourteen days. It was a revelation to her -- first, of how strong a habit it had become, and second, of how different the whole world looked when she did not complain. I get the impression when I'm around Nina Jean that the fourteen day trial was enought to kick the habit. I've never heard her complain. It's not just the sunshine and colors that make her kitchen a nice place to be. It's that Nina Jean is there. I'd like to create that sort of climate for the people I'm around. I've set myself the same task."

And I have set myself the same task. Today is day one of my 14 day challenge. And day one of a Hygge home. Want to join me?

Comments

Popular Posts